HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
michael gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:11:30 -0600
Thomas,

Check out reports by the William and Mary Center for Archaeological
Research. During the early/mid-1990s, Tom Higgins et al. produc ed at least
one report discussing the excavation of a Union camp in Gloucester Co., VA
where they ID'ed the presence of Sibley tents. This is grey literature.
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of this report but it can be ordered from
WMCAR.

19. The Civil War at Gloucester Pointby T. F. Higgins III, C. M. Downing,
K. E. Stuck, G. J. Brown and K. J. Reinhard

Mitigation of Site 44GL358
Associated with the Proposed Route 17 Coleman Bridge Project, Gloucester
County, Virginia
1995 vi + 94 pp. 66 figs., 2 tables, 2 appdx (artifact inventory on
microfiche).

Dwelling remains of Sibley tents and stove/furnace features were determined
to be a domestic component of a Union army camp. The report provides
important information about daily camp life through analyses of military
material culture, structural data, faunal and parasitological remains, and
historical information. Research also focuses on the social and spatial
organization of the camp within the context of the Gloucester Point
defenses.

Hope this helps.

my best

mike