HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:44:52 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (97 lines)
Since you want to stay there…..

Well, what exactly WAS said about her?  Are those things true?  Instead of acting like offended children stomping on the ground, can we act like adults and actually EVALUATE what somebody has to say about someone else?  I imagine the Obama administration did its own evaluation before appointing her.

flm

On Mar 4, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is about Lynne and the things that were said about her. You are entitled to your opinion on the state of the profession. I disagree with you and feel that perhaps you have a biased perspective.
> 
> Pat Garrow
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Fred McGhee <[log in to unmask]>
>> Sent: Mar 4, 2013 2:16 PM
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: ACHP and Appointment of Dr. Lynne Sebastian
>> 
>> Dear Pat,
>> 
>> Apparently you lack the capacity to refrain from mentioning Lynne Sebastian's name when discussing this issue.  No disrespect intended, but I presume that you do have the capacity to divorce the mention of somebody's name from an argument?
>> 
>> Let me state it now for the THIRD time:  if you wish to have a conversation about the state of archaeology, historical or otherwise, I invite such conversation.  Such a conversation on this forum is long overdue.  You don't have to keep droning on about Lynne Sebastian, Tom King, or anybody else to have it, though.
>> 
>> You claim to have seen "the practice of archaeology improve significantly over the years."  You certainly are entitled to that perspective, and in a narrow technical sense I somewhat agree with you.  But any claim about the quality of archaeology performed in this country, especially in the private sector, has to be informed with the experiences of Native Americans and African Americans in particular.  When I compare the archaeology conducted on (and especially BY) African Americans and Native Americans in 1976 with the archaeology conducted in 2013, I see many gains, a few losses, but also disconcerting amounts of backsliding.
>> 
>> flm
>> 
>> 
>> On Mar 4, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> 
>>> I have no idea what Fred McGhee is talking about. I have been active in cultural resource management in a private consulting setting since 1976, and I have seen the practice of archaeology improve significantly over the years. One very positive trend that has grown and matured is an attempt by professional archaeologists to communicate with the public and to take the concerns and wishes of stakeholders into account. That has strengthened--not weakened. 
>>> 
>>> It is extremely easy to attack any professional whether you have a basis for it or not. Some in our profession and some stakeholders have done that as a device to attract attention to themselves. People are always quick to believe the worst about anyone. 
>>> 
>>> The attack on Lynne is unjustified. Purely and simply, it is unjustified. 
>>> 
>>> Pat Garrow
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Fred McGhee <[log in to unmask]>
>>>> Sent: Mar 4, 2013 11:24 AM
>>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>>> Subject: Re: ACHP and Appointment of Dr. Lynne Sebastian
>>>> 
>>>> Let me take the lead.
>>>> 
>>>> In discussing some of the political economy behind what I and others perceive to be the diminishing role of meaningful archaeology over the past few years, it may be useful to develop an understanding of how government contracting actually works, particularly the relationships between the "design build" process and state legislatures.  I am talking about consortiums that include global construction companies, investment banks, private-equity firms, and engineering firms that play an increasing role in the construction of much of the country's infrastructure, and that furnishes employment for archaeologists and other environmental professionals.
>>>> 
>>>> Within the environmental and archaeological consulting fields, it has led to mergers and acquisitions (as well as rebranding), trends that appear to be around to stay.  Simply put, archaeology these days appears to be more about the appearance of clearance documentation and legally sufficient professional opinions than about the public interest.  Those of us in the private sector have long known about these trends, but for some reason can't or won't talk about the obvious implications of these developments or the scope and scale of the problem.  It thus falls to people impacted by these schemes--often Native Americans and African Americans--to ring the alarm about some of these things.
>>>> 
>>>> http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2012/1112bondgraham.html
>>>> 
>>>> flm
>>>> 
>>>> On Mar 4, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> I would like to add my support to Lynn's nomination as well. Lynn is a top professional who has both the knowledge and judgment to make a positive contribution to the mission of the ACHP. 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Pat
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>>> From: "King, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
>>>>>> Sent: Mar 2, 2013 11:11 AM
>>>>>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>>>>> Subject: ACHP and Appointment of Dr. Lynne Sebastian
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Dear HISTARCHers,
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> I want to second Ian Burrow's statement of confidence in Lynne Sebastian's
>>>>>> appointment to the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. This is great
>>>>>> news for archaeology, for historic preservation, and for the ACHP.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Having done my time on the ACHP cross, I know first-hand that it is a body
>>>>>> of very diverse interests and expertise. As an "Expert Member," Lynne
>>>>>> Sebastian brings the expertise of archaeology to the table and, while I
>>>>>> don't know Lynne as well as Ian does, I know her well enough to know that
>>>>>> President Obama has made an excellent choice. Lynne will serve us extremely
>>>>>> well, as she has done in so many leadership positions, including as
>>>>>> president of SAA and RPA.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Tribal interests and voices have long been a concern for the Council. At
>>>>>> least one member selected by the President must be a member of an Indian
>>>>>> tribe or Native Hawaiian organization. The immediate past chair, John L.
>>>>>> Nau, and the current chair, Wayne Donaldson, have, in my experience, made
>>>>>> tribal participation hallmarks of their leadership, and the ACHP has been
>>>>>> the better for it. Indeed, ACHP has an Office of Native American Affairs
>>>>>> that is one of the better such offices anywhere in Federal government.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> You can read more about the composition of the membership at this link:
>>>>>> http://www.achp.gov/members.html.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Julie King

ATOM RSS1 RSS2