HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"King, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2013 11:11:05 -0500
Dear HISTARCHers,

I want to second Ian Burrow's statement of confidence in Lynne Sebastian's
appointment to the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. This is great
news for archaeology, for historic preservation, and for the ACHP.

Having done my time on the ACHP cross, I know first-hand that it is a body
of very diverse interests and expertise. As an "Expert Member," Lynne
Sebastian brings the expertise of archaeology to the table and, while I
don't know Lynne as well as Ian does, I know her well enough to know that
President Obama has made an excellent choice. Lynne will serve us extremely
well, as she has done in so many leadership positions, including as
president of SAA and RPA.

Tribal interests and voices have long been a concern for the Council. At
least one member selected by the President must be a member of an Indian
tribe or Native Hawaiian organization. The immediate past chair, John L.
Nau, and the current chair, Wayne Donaldson, have, in my experience, made
tribal participation hallmarks of their leadership, and the ACHP has been
the better for it. Indeed, ACHP has an Office of Native American Affairs
that is one of the better such offices anywhere in Federal government.

You can read more about the composition of the membership at this link:
http://www.achp.gov/members.html.

Julie King