HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:34:11 -0500
> ...have been looking at $750 PhotoCad which will use the original photo
textures and attach them to the 3D model after its created, the virtual image
actually shaded by the photo realism.<

Sorry, I meant PhotoModeler. Another used with digital cameras is fotoG. A
conference was held recently in Brazil on the abilities today to do cheap
photogrammetry for the cataloguing of extant historic structures. Much of it
was conducted over the Internet. There are others I have seen being
developed, though prices are confidential in the Far East, in Singapore and
Australia. I have found the whole topic extraordinary and it appears to be a
very old dream, terrestrially before it became an aerial pursuit.
Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh, PA is also doing much research on the ability
to process much data from the air. This may help solve the problem of
photographing and documenting dense, tall structures, in that the
deformations can be digitally corrected and extant inventories created where
"normal" photographs are not possible without a "flying carpet."

George Myers