HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:42:13 -0700
But WHERE are the bones...if it was common to raise or eat
chicken...'back then'???

I don't yet have the totals for our '1908-1920' period Grant, Jr. dump
bone assemblage (it is being analyzed out of office)...but I remember
seeing maybe 10 fowl long bones (could have been from 5-7 birds)...among
nearly 2 banker boxes full of large mammal bone.  Why such a LOW
percentage...and at a rural summer home...where one would think it would
be common to have chickens for eggs and meat (even if they 'help' did
the raising). ???  Was the family of higher status...so they didn't eat
chicken? (were the chicken bones in the dump from the meals of the hired
help? But would still expect a higher frequency).

My dad's mom (German heritage) made chicken and dumplings for Sun.
dinner often; or fried chicken.  My other grandma (Basque) baked chicken
now and then, but also cooked lamb, pork...or "stringy beef" (aka chuck
roast).  Back in the 30s-50s (before my time), when someone butchered a
pig, they brot her to collect the blood to make 'blood sausage'...since
apparently hers was the Best around.  My mom has unfond memories of
seeing her mom wring the neck of the chickens they raised.  You just do
what you have to do tho...when you have a family to feed.  But my mom
could never do that (so would her family have starved? Good thing she
had a grocery store nearby!).

Our suburb neighbor - with 5 kids - raised rabbits and chickens (in the
60s).  Being the matter-of-fact kind of person I am...I purposely hopped
over the fence one day, to watch the dad kill and skin a rabbit. Another
time, I watched (over the fence) him chop the chicken's head off...and
learned that chicken really DO run around with their heads cut off (at
another neighbor's, I learned that fish hearts keep beating after being
cut out!).  There was a stump and hachet in their backyard also.

But...WHERE are the chicken bones?  Do they disintegrate sooner than the
more robust large mammal bones?  Wouldn't think so...since in much older
prehistoric sites...we find a plethora of small mammal bones.