HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:52:33 -0400
Yargh! I feel like one of those crusty old curmudgeons, at least one of
which shows up on everyone's dissertation committee, but in the interest of
students and the impressionable young that might be on this list, I'm
compelled to point out:

Amy, "impact" is not a verb. I know the native speaker is always right (Dr.
Hardaman beat it into my brain) but we don't have to be natives of the
community of illiteracy.

Marcy, the expression is not ". . . fair so well . . ." but " . . . fare so
well . . .", as in "wayfaring" or traveling.

Academic and bureaucratic gobbledy gook is bad enough, but can't we maintain
some devotion to clear writing?

Tim T.
pedantic curmudgeon