HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:14:22 -0700
        I apologize for entering this thread after the action is finished,
but I think a few things still need to be addressed.
        First, I am in the camp that believes that collectors (whether they
are called "pothunters" or other names) often have a great deal of
information to offer we "professionals."  I have, in fact, obtained a
great deal of information from bottle collectors in El Paso, Texas,
and southern New Mexico.  Until the last two decades, much of the
information on glass artifacts came from collectors' literature (some
of which is excellent [e.g. Toulouse] and some of which is terrible),
and many current reports reguarly use collectors' information.  Those
of us who regularly deal with glass artifacts are in the process of
assessing the quality of collectors' literature.
        Most colletors consider their hobby to be just that--a hobby.  They
also feel that their right to buy, sell, and dig (pardon the
expression) bottles is completely legitimate.  When I discuss
archaeological concerns about "pothunting" or non-academic excavation
and collection, they voice concerns that they feel are completely
legitimate.  One of the most common of these is:  if these sites are
so important to you, why don't you do something with them?  If you
just leave them alone, why can't we have them?  My arguaments in
favor of preservation do not seem convincing to many of them.
        Other offer to change their methods.  One (who came to see me in my
office) asked if I could teach him proper excavation methods.  He
said it sounded like fun, and he would like to help.  Another (a
retired dentist) is incensed that we are trying to "take away his
hobby."  My point is that many of these collectors are solid,
reasonable citizens who do *not* see themselves as bad guys or
"pothunters."  In fact, they see us as impediments to their perfectly
legitimate hobby.  I think we need to be aware of the wide range of
people we consider when we discuss non-professional
collectors/diggers/pothunters/sellers.
        One last point:  I think we need to look at reality when approaching
the problems in people who deal in antiquities.  To suggest that
buying a single artifact (or several hundred of them) is going to
affect the antiquities market is unrealistic.  I have talked to
dozens of collectors, read the bottle collectors' magazines, attended
the only fairly local convention, and checked out what is happening
at eBay.  The infrastructure is solidly in place.  Short of the
enacting of new laws, no amount of our participation (or lack
thereof) is going to significantly affect the sales of artifacts.
Rather than attack the collectors' system, we should carefully
deliniate non-professionals into categories based on legalities.
        At best, maybe we can form some sort of cooperation between
professionals and non-professionals.  No one will hear you when you
yell at him/her.  But, perhaps, he or she may be interested in what
you say if you speak softly.  Like most people, we are very good at
seeing our side of the story without carefully listening to the
concerns of the other side.

Bill Lockhart