HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:08:25 -0700
In a recent excavation in downtown El Paso, we found a bottle
fragment (apparently) from Albany, NY.  The fragment includes the
base and lower body with a jagged break ca. half way up.

Embossed markings include HE [break] OLAN/1876/ALBANY on one side and
G/stylized H supeimposed on N with an ampersand/ALE on the other.
This may be He[nry] & Nolan Ginger Ale from Albany, New York.

Can anyone help me with identification of this bottle--name of the
company, dates in business, any other interesting information?  I
have searched my usual sources (archaeology and bottle collector
literature) and have found nothing so far.

Thank you in advance,

Bill

Bill Lockhart
New Mexico State University