HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"C. Jane Cox" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:28:27 -0500
Hi there!

        I have been asked to review sites throughout Virginia which have
an African American context, either slave, free or antebellum. In reviewing
these reports, I am attempting to pull out artifacts which may have some
religious significance. We hope this research will shed additional light
to balance the two opposing perspectives of either complete obliteration
of the religious systems versus the complete cultural carryover. I am
basically looking into unexplained or odd deposits of artifacts which are
prominent in African religious traditions.
        So far, I have reviewed eleven such sites, and I will
be looking at a few more this week. Those I have (or will)
review(ed) are listed below. If anyone intimate with Va. archaeology
could recommend other sources, or sites, I would appreciate it.
_______________________________
Sites I have reviewed thus far:
Pohoke
Portici
The Quarters
Alexandria Slave Pen
Coleman Site
College Landing
Nash
Brownfield
Fairfield Plantation
Clift's Plantation
Shirley Plantation
________________________
And I will review:
Mulberry Row

        If you do have other suggestions, please post a bibliography or a
reposistory that would have the site report on file.

Also>>>>  If anyone has handy a phone number or contact for the
Virginia Department of Historic Resources, could you please forward it to
me?

Thanks in advance,

Please reply to:  [log in to unmask]

C. Jane Cox