HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"C. Jane Cox" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:23:21 -0500
would concur on the possibility of this being a privy. In 1994, at an
urban site in Annapolis, MD, we encountered not one but TWO wood lined privy
features, both dating to the turn of the twentieth century. We determined
this use through overlaying historic maps (Sanborns) with the current
excavation maps, (in AutoCAD) and our barrel features lined up perfectly
with the small outbuildings/outhouses on the maps. One was 4.3
feet wide and 6.2 feet deep; the other was much smaller, 2.5 feet wide
and only 3 feet deep, although several factors with regard to previous
use of the area as a parking lot could have destroyed the upper portions
of the feature. Both had ceramics and glass in abundance.
        Interestingly, we had a bit of -uh- interaction with OSHA at this
site due to deep units. Anything over four feet was to deep to dig without
shoring, as I recall.  Although I'm sure most don't blink before digging
deeper than four feet, we had the fortune of working in the parking lot
of a courthouse, with lawyers and civic-minded folk ready and armed to
enlighten us of such regulations.
        After a crash course in "competency" we were sufficiently
instilled with "the fear". Such issues had never been considered or
addressed in thirteen years of the Archaeology in Annapolis project.
Not only were the crew members at risk, OSHA takes their fines pretty
seriously. That's a tough one to explain when a project goes over
budget! Needless to say, we finally have a few "competent" staff members.
        (a never ending source of jokes, this terminology).

*  Jane Cox                             *
*  University of Maryland/College Park  *
*  Archaeology in Annapolis             *