HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:31:06 -0600
HISTARCHers:

First off: my sympathies to Ned Heit's family and friends. Like so many of

us, I never met Ned, but I'll miss him on the list -- and have done so over

the last year or so. He always had such wonderful commentary to add.

As for historians becoming archeologists, I say I'm all for it! We need

diversity, and a great deal of it. I say cultural geographers, art

historians, sociologists, and a whole slew of other social scientists

should join the lot. Who says we should limit ourselves to those who have

degrees in Anthropology? As long as you have the practical experience in

archeological technique and methods, I maintain you can bring a badly

needed perspective to a discipline that has become incestuous.

As for me, I consider myself as much a historian as an archeologist, having

dedicated more time to archives than to digging and surveying these last

ten years, and loving it more, despite my three degrees in Anthropology. I

believe I bring a much needed perspective to that discipline, one that the

historians are finding hard to accept, believe me. I'm being persistant

however, and am getting published in historian's journals, as a historian,

not an archeologist.

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨

National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨

505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American

              people so that all may experience our heritage.