HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:36:34 -0400
This is an ancient argument.  There are those who feel that archaeology is a set of techniques, and that a theoretical, or even a methodological grounding in ANY discipline is unnecessary.  I think that since the days of the Binford/Walker exchange, history and anthropology have changed dramatically.  Specifically, historians have been working in a more explicitly cultural framework, and anthropologists have had to admit that the present originated in the past (or pasts).  This is all old news.

As someone who works in urban North America, coming out of a background in anthropological linguistics, I find that I get as much from history, geography, sociology and cultural studies as I do from anthropology.

Lauren J. Cook, RPA
Senior Archaeologist
Richard Grubb & Associates, Inc.
30 North Main Street