HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:28:08 +1100
    Dear Colleagues,

  This is a request for information on an unusual clay pipe manufacturer’s mark.

  I have a plain white pipe stem fragment bearing a manufacturer’s name along the stem in raised in raised serif capitals – an unusual and thus far unidentified manufacturer:

  ELLIOTT. N…  /  …[?T]OP . STREET

  (Or it could possibly be ELLIOTT. D….)

  The pipe is from a 19th century site in Australia and all other artefacts seem to point to sometime in the early-to-mid 19th century as the most likely time of deposition.

  I have found a few manufacturers named Elliott in various sources - including a few Australian manufacturers of that name - but none that fits these specific details. (In fact Denis Gojak has kindly advised that it is most unlikely to be an Australian manufacturer.)

  There are not many pipemakers listed in directories by the name of Elliott but there is a Yorkshire pipemaker listed only as “Mrs” Elliott who is recorded as producing pipes in Sheffield in 1867, who may fit the bill – if anyone knows her first name or initial.

  So if anyone has or has seen any pipes by this manufacturer or has pipes with a similar mark or any other pertinent information I would be most grateful and I am of course happy to reciprocate with other pipe information or a copy of the site report when it is finished.

  Please send any information off-list to this address:

  Many thanks in anticipation,

  Kris