HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 16:37:55 +0100
There is a piece entitled "Stoneware Bottle chron & use" in the Histarch
archives for 1998 by Michiel Bartels (now city archaeologist for
Deventer) which is useful and probably reproduced in the book *Steden
in* *Scherven.* Several contemporary genever manufactures now use
revivalist stoneware bottles. In the evictions of anarchists from
buildings in Amsterdam a few years back I understand a cellar full of
stoneware bottles was ussd as ammunition agaist the riot police.

paul

Carl Steen wrote:

>In a message dated 5/3/2006 12:43:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>I don't  have an end-date for
>stoneware, but probably by the end of WWI everyone  had converted to glass -
>except for some extruded knock-offs from the  1960s You can always play the
>odds: jugs for the water trade were made by  the millions; those for the gin
>trade, by the tens of thousands. If all  the marks indicate quick and dirty
>mass production, you greatly increase  the odds of having a water jug.
>
>Robert C.  Leavitt
>

>Robert - thanks for an excellent answer. I have one thing to add. These
>bottles are still in use, so there is no end date, and since the tradition is
>continuing I'm not sure its fair to call them "Knock offs." I bought bottles of
>Hoogstratten and St Sebastians beer from Belgium at my local beer store a
>couple  of years ago, and I still see them from time to time... The Hoogstratten
>was a  tall, .75 liter cork seal bottle and the other was more squat, .5
>liter, with a lightning stopper closure. Both are salt glazed with a brown  wash
>exterior. Interior is glazed, but not slipped. And the beer was good too.  Carl
>Steen

k]