HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:48:23 -0400
Dave, This trend of the Corps has the sanction of Headquarters DA and the
Corps. Currently, HQDA is developing a "Counterpart Regulation" that will
allow (with the approval of the ACHP and without SHPO input) Army
installations to manage all their historic properties for five years at a
time without any case by case project review at all and only require an
annual report of what they did. I mention this because the excuse given for
all of this is to rid their projects of unwarranted interference from the
public (which doesn't understand the way the Army conducts business or the
Army mission) and to streamline "the process" as required by Congress. I
think you'll find the same excuse at the heart of the Corps' actions.

John Dendy
Dynamac Corporation
Fort Riley, KS