HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:04:00 -0400
I know what you mean about "ancillary structures". There's a great iron
forge site just outside of St. Louis (in Ironton, I believe) that has been
studied on and off for years. It wasn't until the 1980's, however, that a
full mapping and partial excavation of the landing stage to the filled in
canal that the owner dug (at least a mile long) to the nearby river. I
remeber the archeologist marvelling at the fact that everybody knew it was
there but simply said, "Oh, that? That's the canal."

John Dendy