From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 23:10:29 PDT
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Although I'm not much of a fan of his Great C Major Mass, just
>about any of the other ones is worth a gander---

Mozart's other masses are certainly worth exploring, but none of them
comes close to the musical mastery of the Great Mass; it's Mozart at his
best, and the best version is Leppard on EMI.  Aaron - what don't you like
about this work?

Jeff Tedford wrote:

>if you don't own the Violin Concertos in the Philips duo with Colin Davis
>conducting and Grumiaux as soloist, then you truly have a magnificent set
>of performances to discover.

Also outstanding is the Lin/Leppard series for Sony.  Lin attains
perfection, and Leppard is an excellent partner.  He's one underrated
conductor.

Philip Peters expressed disappointment with the Mosaiques in Mozart string
quartets.  This came up within the past few weeks when a poster expressed
similar shortcomings with the Mosaiques.  My response is about what it was
then; I greatly enjoy the Mosaiques in Mozart and find them incisive,
exciting, and great sounding.

Don Satz