From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:52:37 PDT
Krzysztof Lorentz wrote of the new Turek GV on DG:

>Alas the most important part - the performance itself - is not very
>good.  Too scholar and neutral.

I don't see anything "neutral" about Turek's performance.  However, I don't
really know what Krzysztof means by the word.

It is the new Turek that has the cd rom feature, but it's the performance
which is stunning.  Here are a few notes concerning the performance:

1.  Tempos are slower than in most versions.  I just consider that
a difference which can work well or not.  In Turek's hands, it works
beautifully.  Her part-playing is exquisite, and she brings out fully
the emotions of the work.

2.  Staccatos are prevalent.  I think that for some listeners, this could
be bothersome.  They didn't bother me.

3.  This is a distinctive performance which some might feel harkens back
to earlier performance styles.

4.  The sound is relatively "close." Again, I have no problems with this:
clinical sound for an incisive performance.

It could be that all the staccatos and slow tempos are what Krzysztof
finds negative and results in an academic reading.  I just want to point
out that, IMHO, the Goldberg Variations can sound great that way depending
on the artist.  Turek handles it in superior fashion, and I'm proud to have
her version.  The cd rom capabilties are an added bonus.

There are quite a few excellent recorded versions to choose from.  My
recommendation is to get them all.  Not long ago, I felt that the best
piano version was by Maria Tipo on EMI - an absolutely beautiful reading
and recording.  However, artists such as Turek have a better grasp of the
work's structure.  Tipo plays Bach, Turek dissects Bach.  At 84 years of
age, I can only marvel at Turek's accomplishment.

Don Satz