From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:19:43 -0700
Yoel L. Arbeitman complains:

>I must say that I get quite disgusted with my two NPR stations (all
>talk of the very banal "intellectual" type, very banal) telling me all
>day long just how wonderful they are.

Incessant self-congratulation is not limited to NPR.  Seattle's solitary
CM station, which is commercial and broadcasts classical top-40 moosak,
confides smugly in every single announcement that "this is K...-FM,
Seattle's classical choice".  Since no other classical music can be found
on the dial, there is about as much choice involved here as in choosing
to ingest food rather than old socks.  The motivation for endlessly
repeating this phrase is a puzzle.  Its incessant repetion must irritate
other listeners beside myself, which can hardly generate good will for
the station.  Why do they insist on doing it?  Maybe there is an FCC
ruling, somewhere, requiring that every station ID include an idiotically
self-satisfied tag line.

Cheers///Jon, for Seattle's classical audience with no choice