From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:57:24 -0700
John Proffitt ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The correct story.  Bruckner was enthralled by Wagner's music and in
>terrified awe of the man himself.  At the time of the completion of the
>(first version) Third, Bruckner had arranged his first ever visit with The
>Master at Bayreuth.  ...
>
>Bruckner took the manuscript of the Third with him to Bayreuth and (by his
>own admission) finally screwed up his courage to offer the work to Wagner
>with a request that Wagner "allow" Bruckner to inscribe the work to him. ...

John, I'm not sure where this "correct' story comes from, but Hans-Hubert
Scho"nzeler's biography says:

   In September 1873 the famousmeeting with Wagner took place during
   which he [Bruckner] showed him [Wagner] the scores of the 2nd and
   3rd symphonies.  [A footnote points out that at this time only the
   fist 3 mvts of the 3rd were complete in full score, the finale had
   only been sketched out] Bruckner himself describes this encounter in
   detail, how enthusiastic 'the master' was about the D minor symphpny
   and with what friendship he treated him.  Bruckner asked Wagner's
   permission to dedicate one of the two works to him, and Wagner chose
   the 3rd symphony.  Bruckner was overjoyed - and by the next morning
   had prompty forgotten which of the two works Wagner had selected!
   This resulted in the little not with its double autograph, on which
   Bruckner wrote (Symphony in D minor, where the trumpet begins the
   theme.  A.  bruckner'; and Wagner scribbled in reply 'Yes!  Yes!
   Kindest regards!  Richard Wagner.'

Deryck Cooke in the New Grove Late Romantic Masters also says clearely
that Bruckner took both second and third symphonies to Wagner.

Deryk Barker