From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:21:11 -0400
Kevin Sutton:

>This brings me to one of my major pet peeves about many a music lover.
>What ever happened to going to the record store and grabbing something
>totally unknown to you and giving it a try just for adventure?

Bravo Kevin.

A little adventuring is worthwhile.

Admittedly, I have several CDs I use to play Frisbee, but taking a chance
is worth it.  Lately, for me, I find one of the most valuable parts of this
list is the recommendations and discussions of music.  During the past 10
or so years I have been struck how much Haydn has changed over my lifetime,
and how much of that music is now imbued with a sense of delight and
playfulness that was not there in the 60's and 70's.

So, I watch list recommendations, sit back, and wait for the new adventure
as CDs are in transit.

Perhaps we should discuss the whole notion of a 'best' recording or
performance of a piece of music.  There's no such thing.  Take a chance
on buying something second rate, it may not be.

I am now waiting for several CDs of some chamber music.  The list has
reduced my risk of taking chances, and lowered the number of small Frisbees
in the neighborhood.  But its a great adventure.

Well said Kevin.

Regards to all,

Tom Connor