From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:09:55 +0000
Mike Leghorn writes:

>For me, an absolute requisite for a good recording, is that it captures
>te sound of the venue in which it was made, as well as the instruments.
>This may mean that the recording will have a lot of hall ambience.  So
>be it.

I'll take a pass on "So be it".  I only want the venue to be captured
if it's an excellent environment for the specific piece of music.
Otherwise, I'd like the recording engineers to earn their income by
mitigating the lack of symmetry between the venue and musical piece.

>If the music sounds muddled when played in its natural setting, then
>there's a problem with the music.

Could Mike elucidate the characteristics of a natural setting?

Don Satz