From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 17:49:12 -0700
Bruce E McKinney wrote:

>The REALLY ideal situation would be 4 separate booklets, each having the
>4 essays translated into the language of the country and distributed in
>that country - but I realize that I am harkening back to those idyllc days
>when recording companies cared enough about their product and market to
>provide this kind of service.  Ah, well...)

Or perhaps those idyllic days when we actually paid much more
(proportionately) for our entertainment than we do today.  Recorded music
has never been cheaper, in absolute terms, than it is today -- despite the
fact that the overall market for classical music seems to be shrinking,
according to the manufacturers.  Admittedley, mistakes have been made in
marketing the product over the years -- otherwise the industry would be in
a less parlous state than its pundits today aver.  Nonetheless, I don't
think publishing different notes for each (low volume) linguistic market is
the answer.  Rather concentrate on methods of getting the essential message
of good music (emotional reflection and release) to a wider and hitherto
neglected audience.  Easier said than done, I admit, but a better target
for increasingly scarce marketing dollars (francs, pounds, marks, euros...)

Tim Mahon