From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:18:36 -0500
Richard A. Ujvary writes:

>The thing that I find that is really the crux of the original statement
>by Dave Lampson refers back to whether or not listeners and those who
>make music "create" truth while partaking of the art or "discover" truth
>while rummaging through it.

Truth is subjective, and thus requires a human perspective.  On the other
hand, what is true, is true, regardless of human perspective.  There is
truth in saying that Beethoven's 9th is a great symphony, and it is true
that the earth revolves around the sun.  When humans go away, Beethoven's
9th will no longer be a great symphony, but the earth will still revolve
around the sun.

With that in mind, I believe that there is no difference between the
discovery of truth and the creation of truth.  Discovering truth *is* the
creation of truth, and creation of truth can only be accomplished if it is
discovered (i.e.  experienced from a human perspective).

Mike