From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 09:32:50 -0500
Geoffrey Gaskell writes:

>There is much talk of evolution in music. In general it seems people
>are taking a linear view that Gregorian Chant evolved into polyphony;
>that Renaissance music evolved into the Baroque style and so on.  The
>implication is that each new development is somehow better or more
>approximate to some Ideal Form.  How very Platonic!

Offentimes, the mechanism behind evolution is natural selection.  Forms
that are best suited to the environment thrive, while less suitable forms
die off.  I believe that musical evolution can be view in much the same
way.  Our cultural environment is much different than is was 500 years ago,
thus, our music is much different also.

In short, evolution doesn't mean improvement; it means adaptation to
change.

Mike