From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:25:23 -0500
John Smyth wrote:

>As a new-comer to Vivaldi and Telemann, I've acquainted myself through the
>artistry of Manze, (Manchester Sonatas, Concert Music for a Polish King);
>McGeegan and See, (The Flute Concerti); and Pickett, (Telemann's Water
>Music).  I find this music extremely gratifying--colorful, quircky,
>daring, and wistful by turns; These CDs will come off the shelf often.

Try some of the Heinichen Concerti, or the works of Jan Dismas Zelenka
if you want to explore more.  However, I still contend that even greater
rewards are to be found in going back to the 17th century, when the early
Baroque masters of that time were more trailblazing in their levels of
experimentation with form, color and effects.  Biber is one of the more
obvious choices, along with his colleagues Schmelzer and Vejvanovsky for
the central Europeans.  The early Italian school (of which Marini has
recently been discussed here by Todd McComb) is another place to check
into.

Bill H.