From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:19:49 -0500
Andrys Basten writes:

>At any rate I still can't love something I hear without wanting to also
>play it.
>
>Are there many here who respond to music this way after listening?  Or
>do you find that you used to play but that jobs and time make that
>improbable and most of the pleasure is in listening.

About 15 years ago, I tried to get back into serious piano playing, but a
strange phenomenon became apparent.  I didn't have the dexterity or hand
to eye coordination that I did as a youngster.  But I did have much higher
standards for myself than previously.  Well, that was a bad combination
which led to my dumping the piano notion.

At this stage, I never want to play music I listen to - I want to compose
it.  However, I have even less skill for this endeavor than for performing.
So I am forever to be a listener who writes reviews for his own pleasure -
I'm well satisfied.

Don Satz