From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:41:40 PST
Mark Shanks wrote:

>Unfortunately, there is absolutely NO Petterson performed in the
>US. (But then, what do you expect from a country where "pro
>wrestling" is the highest rated show on cable television?)

Although pro wrestling is low-end, this field is a role-model for marketing
excellence.  Our major orchestras and record companies would be doing
themselves a favor by looking into pro wrestling's marketing strategies.

I have an acquaintance who does marketing for the wrestling industry.  I
am just amazed at how professional, thorough, and dedicated the marketing
folks in this field are.  Marketing strategies are discussed and improved
almost on a daily basis.  This industry stays at the top because it is
constantly developing short and long-term plans to improve its share of
the audience.

Some of the elements of marketing that are second-nature to the world of
pro wrestling which the classical folks should adopt are:

1.  Know your audience and what additional audience you are going after.

2.  Don't change plans in mid-stream.

3.  Make sure that your advertisements are appealing to whatever
    audience you are trying to reach.

4.  Use the Internet wisely.

I have indicated before that I consider the marketing done by the
orchestras and record companies to be poor and short-sighted.  It's
a sad commmentary that professional wrestling does a much better job,
becaude they hire the "best" and don't interfere with the process.

Don Satz