From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 10:38:21 +0000
Bernard Chasan:

>All true, but it is also true that we still respond to the music.
>Conclusion: we have not changed so much that the music no longer speaks
>to us, just as Shakespeare still speaks to us.

Neither I nor anyone else has suggested that "the music no longer speaks
to us" - only that we cannot know fully how it once spoke to others, and
we cannot reduplicate that experience for ourselves.  Because although
there may be much in common between us and them, there is also a great
difference.  Time, and all the things that have happened during its
passing.

Ian Crisp