From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:43:17 -0400
Iskender asks:

>I am perplexed as to which Rqeuiem was played when? Moreover I am not
>familiar with Michael Haydn's Requiem? Is there a recording available?

Together with Joseph H's raucous Missa in tempore belli, a Hanssler
CD in my library has: Haydn, Michael, 1737-1806.  Requiem B-Dur "Opus
Ultimum" fragment.  Pamela Coburn, soprano; Ingeborg Danz, alto; Andreas
Schmidt, bass; Gachinger Kantorei Stuttgart; Bach-Collegium Stuttgart;
Helmuth Rilling.

>>Good luck with your concert: from what I've been able to gather after a
>>couple of weeks' perusal, the angustiis or Nelson is the gem among these
>>massterpieces.
>
>...I am not a musician and what is in question is not a concert but a puny
>radio program.

Nothing puny or unworthy about a radio station that will program such
material -- nor for libraries that hold several CD copies.  Am now
listening to Sir Colin Davis's version with Hendricks (sop) and Meven
(bass).  Meven does pack a deep wallop, but of the four or five versions
I've so far heard, I'm still gung-ho on the pace of the Pinnock (e.g.,
in the Kyrie) and Felicity Lott's tremolo-free articulation.

Here's hoping whatever version you choose is appreciated by a receptive
audience.  ...in Turkey?

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa