From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:40:10 +0100
Iskender Savasir wrote:

>I am playing Haydn's Nelson Mass (Missa in angustiis) in my weekly radio
>program. Any background information on Haydn's attitude towards Napoleon
>would be most welcome and appreciated.

After Haydn had died a chart of the Battle of the Nile was found among
his papers. The Battle of the Nile was where Nelson defeated the French
fleet and cut Napoleon's lines of communication with France.

According to Geiringer - Haydn A Creative Life in Music: Haydn as a loyal
son of the Austrian Monarchy saw Napoleon as the archenemy for whose
downfall he fervently prayed. (page 133)

Tim Horwood