From:
Jeff Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:17:46 EST
Everest recordings were popular about 30-35 years ago.  Sir Eugene Goosens
was a prominent conductor at that time, and made several recordings on the
Everest label.  They were mid priced LP's at that time, and I believe they
were a Canadian label at that time.  They are part of the Vanguard group
now.  Like the original Mercury Living Presence recordings, the best of
them have been reissued in CD format.  I believe they were originally
recorded on 1/2" 3 track magnetic tape.  Their sound was good then.  I have
one CD reissue and I am hard pressed to believe it was originally recorded
in 1960!  The recorded sound is absolutely gorgeous.  Sir Eugene conducts
the London Symphony in three South American works..more or less.  Heitor
Villa-Lobos' "Little Train of the Caipira, from Bachianas Brasilieras John
Antill "Suite from the ballet Corroboree" Alberto Ginastera Panambi, and
Estancia.  All well played and recorded.  I look forward in finding some
of those you mentioned.

Cheers Jeff