From:
Jeffrey James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:26:17 -0400
Dear Friends, Thank you for your messages about Judith Lang Zaimont's
Symphony No. 2.

I wanted to clear up any speculations as to why her Symphony is being
premiered by the Kharkov Philharmonic and not here in the U.S.

I must admit that the idea was a good deal mine.

The orchestra's Conductor Laureate, Vakhtang Jordania, is a very close
friend.  When we created the Jordania Conducting Competition together with
the Kharkov Philharmonic last year, Ms. Zaimont's Elegy for Strings was
one of the two contemporary pieces that the conductor contestants chose
from.

This Elegy (which had also, by the way, already been Premiered in New York
and performed in Moscow and San Francisco) subsequently become the middle
movement of the Symphony No. 2 for Strings.  When he was told about the
completed work, Maestro Jordania requested it for the World Premiere with
the Philharmonic.

In discussion with Ms. Zaimont, I quickly agreed, having been to visit
this orchestra twice and knowing how much they need to have the world come
to them (they are in no position economically to be getting out in any
meaningful way to the rest of the world - at least for now.  This would
also, by the way, preclude any thought of money for commissioning the
work).  I saw this as another way to get this wonderful orchestra more onto
the world stage and to allow them to be a part of the larger international
music community.  At the same time, this fit with the composer's desire to
have her work performed outside the U.S., so it seems to work for everyone.

Just for the record, her Symphony No. 1 was commissioned by the Central
Wisconsin Symphony and subsequently played by the Philadelphia Orchestra,
Czech Radio Symphony and scheduled by the Women's Philharmonic, which
performance was cancelled due to the group's mounting problems.

No money for the Ukranian performance changed hands.  So far, the only
ones to benefit monetarily have been the famously unpredictable Ukranian
customs, who held the package up until a "special duty" was paid.

You're absolutely right about the days being long past when local
orchestras featured local composers as a matter of course.  This is too
bad, but also forces us to think of other places as viable alternatives
to what was once the norm.

How about it, any Classical Music List members care to consider the work
for performance here at home?

I can be reached at 516-797-9166 or [log in to unmask]

Again, many thanks for your interest.

Jeffrey James