From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:09:21 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote of Mogens Woldike:

>Rush out and buy his Vanguard recordings of haydn 99-104.  First
>recordings of the HCR-L score and still, IMHO, unbeaten.

Deryk read my mind.  That was the reason I included Woldike.  With all this
HMO and HIP approach to Haydn, Woldike's conducting gave these symphonies
real meat on the bone.

Yes, there is a Nielsen connection.  But it is ambiguous.  For a conductor
of Woldike's standing beyond his homeland, he had a unique opportunity to
showcase Nielsen and didn't.  He did the best Fynsk Forar way back in the
1950s released on Mercury.  It is coupled with the loveliest rendition of
Nielsen's songs other than Aksel Schoitz's.  That he only did this one
thing for Nielsen is shameful.  But he did it beautifully.

Andrew Carlan
"Standing Up For Nielsen"