From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:46:49 +0000
Juozas Rimas

>I'd like to discuss this amazing piece by Arnold Shoenberg.  He's known
>for blazing new trails in music but do you think "Verklarte Nacht" is still
>something strictly from the Romantic era? How do you appreciate this work
>in the context of other works by the composer? Thanks.

There is no doubt that "Verlarte Nacht" is a late romantic piece.  It's a
straight forward tone poem.  The name translates as "Transfigured Night".
The story is of two lovers.  But the girl has bad news for her boyfriend.
She's pregnant by somebody else.  He's distraut but as the night wears on
he comes to terms with the news, re-affirms his love and says he will treat
the child as his own.  Hence the situation is transfigured ovenight.

I find this story sick!  In fact, I liked the music until I heard the
story.  Anyway I'd recommend the Orpheus chamber orchestra version on DG.

In terms of other works by the composer: This was Schoenberg paying his
dues before moving on.

Bob Draper