From:
"William F. Dishman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 19:29:39 -0500
As a new addition to the Classical List, and being a brass player (trumpet)
I find the Delius inquiry very interesting.  As a Delius lover, I purchased
the Tasmin Little recording of the Sonatas not knowing much about them as
I am mostly familiar with the orchestral works.  I found her playing to be
quite lovely and with somewhat of a natural charm that didn't come off as
pretentious or overbearing.  This approach is appropriate for Delius in
general and very enjoyable.  The program notes are relatively complete with
some personal comments from Little included as well.  I think I enjoy
Delius for the openess and clarity of the scorings.  (It is usually not
very heavy in the brass....and I think this is one of the things I like
best.) The sonatas are melodic yet have a rhythmical energy that keeps
momentum moving forward.

Overall I would recommend the Little recordings to anyone interested in
chamber music of this type and Delius in particular.

Maybe I can get over to Jacksonville someday for the Delius Festival and
hear a live performance.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida