From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 22:22:59 -0500
I still haven't got the Piano Concerto/Violin Concerto disc, but I have
just finished reviewing the cpo release of Symphonies 1 and 4.  This is
really cool music -- on the surface it is pure Germanic Romanticism and
there is certainly a lot of Brahms and Strauss in it.  But I find some
amazing similarities to the music of (among other more esoteric composers)
Reinhold Gliere -- especially parts of the Bronze Horseman and Red Poppy
Suites and to a degree the Horn Concerto.  There is some remarkably fine
writing here and I, for one, look forward very much to seeing the balance
of the nine symphonies covered by the seame sensitive and competent team.

Now on to the other eighty discs waiting to be listened to!

Tim Mahon