From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:54:35 +1100
Christopher Webber alarmed me:

>However, matters came yesterday to a head.  The moment I found myself
>bidding on ebay for a CD entitled "The Humpback Whales Do The
>Classics", I resolved that it simply has to stop - now!!

I hope you didn't buy that one.  The transfers on the Dutton Laboratories
version are far better, and it comes with several jpg files of David
Attenborough with a Rwandan gorilla.  Much better than the CD of "Cobras
Sing Puccini", which has a lot of hiss.

>Short of employing my Wagner LPs as fashionable flooring ... can any of
>you offer me any helpful advice on STOPPING my collection?

Easy.  Emigrate, but it has to be to Australia.  You couldn't possibly
bring your entire collection and would need to sell some which in turn
would help to pay the fare.  The Australian dollar is in such a parlous
state that your horror at the price of CDs here will stop you buying any
more.  Make that many more perhaps, but certainly, you'll slow down.  Other
benefits: the weather's better and cricket matches don't often get rained
out.  But as far as I know, the nearest zarzuela company is in Spain.

Richard Pennycuick