From:
John J Kregarman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:20:37 -0600
I am sorry to have heard all the criticism of David Dubal as I have
enjoyed his "The Art of The Piano" very much.  But back to Chopin's
Mazurkas.  Rubenstein recorded these works three times.  I have heard all
three and agree with David Dubal that his final recording is not the best
being too literal.  His first, recorded in the thirties, is available on
Naxos (but not in the US) and has great flair, his second, once available
on two Seraphim LP's, is I think his best, but I do not think it has made
it to CD yet.  If it has, please let me know.  Anyway, if any works benefit
from multiple interpretations they are the Mazurkas and there are many
magnificent individual interpretations.

John Kregarman