From:
Norman Lebrecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:03:58 +0100
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I particularly appreciate Madetoja's three symphonies.
>
>The second is tragic.  It is dated 1916-18 and strife and grieving are very
>present.  Madejota's brother, Yrjo, and his friend and fellow-composer,
>Toivo Kuula, were both killed during the 1918 civil war in Finland.  ...
>Perhaps there is youth, but the mood is distressing and sorrowful, the
>entwining motifs often borne on the low, tense rumble of percussion.
>
>Does anyone know anything specific about Madetoja's intentions here - or
>can anyone comment?

The man who knew most about Madetoja in my acquaintance was Seppo
Heikinheimo, critic of the Helsingin Sanomat and biographer of Merikanto.
Seppo is mournfully no longer with us, but his successor, Vesa Siren
<[log in to unmask]>, might be tempted to reply to honest inquiries
about finnish giants.  Otherwise, the Finnish Music Information Centre
(also on the Net) are unfailingly helpful.

NL