From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 00:16:02 -0500
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Fascinating, eventful, mostly a fine soundtrack to a horror movie,
>"Insomnia" has a great deal of aggressive ostinato (more Nielsen than
>Glass), muscular, percussive music (with five full-time, fully busy
>percussionists), even while every section, every instrument was given a
>major workout.  The piece brings up a quaint question: how can you have
>nightmares if you're not sleeping?

If it WAS a soundtrack to the INSOMNIA that I saw, 1997 directed by Erik
Skjoldbjaerg and starring Stellan Skarsgard, it was not a horror movie
but a dark and almost surreal mystery about a Swedish policeman in Norway
who kills his partner accidentally and covers up...  and cannot sleep
because of the midnight sun.  His waking life became the nightmare...

The screenplay was directed in 2002 by Christopher Nolan and starred Al
Pacino and Robin Williams.  I never saw this one, but I heard the 97 one
was much better.

Miguel Muelle
www.jacquelinedupre.net