From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 23:07:56 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Fellner plays these pieces superbly with an incisive sense of
>inevitability that rivals the performances of Gustav Leonhardt.
>Also, Fellner is more lyrical than Leonhardt with more supple phrasing.

Thanks, as usual, Don.  I value your reviews tremendously -- more so now
that I am a piano student, and have begun listening to many interpreters
of Bach.  I was slightly confused by your mention of Leonhardt, since
he records only on harpsichord (AFAIK).  Am I wrong, or are you simply
comparing the interpretations, albeit on different instruments?  If so,
is that "fair"?

I have listened closely to Gould, Schiff and Richter do the WTC.  I
alternately prefer the first two depending on the day...  but although
there is much to like in it, I find Richter's WTC a bit gruff at times,
almost "clunky".  I look forward to hearing Hewitt, whom I am liking
more and more in other Bach, and also Turek, although, for me, her last
Goldberg lacked flow (IMVHO).

I will be alert for Fellner, for sure.

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com