From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 08:27:16 -0700
William Hong replies to me, Re: Handel arias:

>This sounds like an example of the linear school of musical advancement,
>meaning that Handel can't hold a candle to Beethoven, and Ludwig hasn't a
>chance against von Suppe? And therefore Kabalevsky is superior to them all?

And therfore the Spice Girls have them all beat, right?

But a terribly good observation.  I never meant anything of the kind of
course.  Advanced doesn't mean better.  And besides, just because I don't
like something particularly doesn't even mean I think it's "bad".  I don't
like apples, yet I recognize that apples could be "good" if someone liked
that sickly-sweet taste (IMHO of course).  I also recognize that there
are "good" and "bad" apples, even though I'm not so keen on any of them.
Maybe this is a week defense.  Hey, its early here.  Maybe I'll have
something intelligent to say later.

Bob K.