From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:56:02 -0400
Jon Lewis wrote:

>Wes was wondering about a good complete Ring to start with.
>I've wondered the same thing. Now, what's the deal with this VERY
>inexpensive recent label, Opera D'Oro? They offer a complete Ring with
>Furtwangler/La Scala for, at CDNow, $50.

The sound quality is surprisingly good for a 1950 recording off the stage.
The larger issue, as I understand it, is a moral one.  Music & Arts got the
permission from the Furtwaengler estate to work from the original tapes,
and Maggi Payne, who does wonderful work for them, did the remastering.  It
was widely regarded as a great improvement over previous issues.  Then, as
I have heard it reported, Opera D'Oro simply copied the Music & Arts set.
Naturally, since M&A had done all the expensive work, Opera D'Oro could
offer the set much more cheaply.  If I have gotten this story wrong, I'd
very much like to know.  If it's right, I'd give M&A your business in this
particular case.

Nick