From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 12:03:13 -0500
Bob Draper wrote:

>I wear a baseball cap and I swear that for this reason I get inferior
>treatment by shop assistants in record stores and bad looks by the snob
>shoppers.  I have no hair at all.  When I take my hat off most people take
>me as I am.  But the classical fraternity is full of the small section of
>the population that glare.  This fact puts me off going to concerts these
>days.

You know, Bob, I am a professional musician and go to concerts all the
time.  I also put on quite a few of my own.  I never wear a tie to a
concert.  This is something that I do on purpose, just to show the world
I can.  It's my little way of reaffirming Zoltan Kodaly's maxim "Music is
meant for everyone." In fact, the motto of The Helios Ensemble is Kodaly's
phrase combined with the phrase, "Our constituency is the world." I
would hope that if you ever came to one of our concerts, you would feel
comfortable in what ever clothes you wanted to wear.  I strongly encourage
our audiences to come to enjoy the music.  Our concerts are meant to be
artistic, spiritual, uplifting, challenging...what ever it is you like to
get out of a musical experience.  The thing that they are certainly NOT
meant to be are fashion shows.  Next time you (or any one else for that
matter) are in Dallas, come hear us, and wear your best blue jeans!

Kevin Sutton