From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:38:19 -0500
Today's N. Y. Times has a large section on music (explicitly *not*
classified into classical/jazz/pop/etc.) in its Arts & Leisure section
which list members would be very much interested in.  Hopefully the paper's
web site has most if not all of the articles.

The general theme, as the title suggests, is that contemporary music is in
a stage of rapid change in which genre divisions are blurring and new music
and new ways of presenting it are seeking new audiences.  I can't give an
overview of the whole section here, but I expect to be making comments on
various of the articles in the near future, as I digest them.

For now, I would like to refer to one, by the Oregon composer David Schiff,
"A New Measure for Heroes in Music's Valhalla." He discusses the way in
which a number of the classical great composers are being re-valued; for
each one, he gives a capsule "old values/new values" summary and elaborates
on it in a few paragraphs.  I will give the summaries for each composer,
and the whole discussion of Schoenberg, since that name has been bandied
about here recently.

   "Richard Strauss   Old values: Traitor to the cause.  New values:
   Gender researcher, exhibitionist and cross-dresser." (Note: Schiff
   doesn't mean "exhibitionist and cross-dresser" literally, of course--he
   is referring to his claim that "More than any other male composer,
   Strauss celebrated the varied erotic feelings of women.  I like to
   think that as a creative personality, he switched genders midway
   through his career, going from masculine tone poet to feminine opera
   maker.")

   "The Tunesmiths (Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, George Gershwin, Cole
   Porter, Richard Rodgers, Harold Arlen)    Old values: Tinsel makers
   unless they went classical. New values: The real Les Six.

   "Louis Armstrong   Old values: A great trumpet player and entertainer;
   not a classical giant. New values: The man who reunited composition and
   performance.

   "Dmitri Shostakovich   Old values: A conservative; maybe a bad guy,
   maybe a good guy. New values: The J. S. Bach of the 20th century.

   "Igor Stravinsky    Old values: Great Russian, pretty good rootless
   cosmopolitan. New values: Mr. Cool

   "Arnold Schoenberg    Old values: Terminator of tonality, emancipator
   of dissonance, creator of the 12-tone method, the composer from hell.
   New values: Action painter

   "Serialism is dead, and Schoenberg should be the god that failed.
   Performances of the music, like the recent 'Moses und Aron' at the
   Metropolitan Opera, seem to strain the critical thesaurus for grudging
   praise to the breaking point.  Why didn't the critics just come out
   and say they hated every minute? No one I read saw the unique quality
   that keeps the music maddeningly alive: Schoenberg's music is really
   tolerable only when it is extraordinary.  Only when you get to the
   impassioned violin line at the very end of 'Moses und Aron' do you
   suddenly understand why you have been so bored by the hollow technical
   bravura of the previous two hours.

   "When Schoenberg was inspired, he could turn out a half-hour opera
   in a couple of weeks.  He was a volcano that erupted erratically and
   incandescently; his music either singes your eyelashes or just lies
   there, dormant.  The writer of this century Schoenberg most resembles
   is his fellow autodidact D.  H.  Lawrence, who was similarly pedantic
   and preachy when uninspired, but unmatchable when the lightning
   actually struck.

   "Schoenberg's best music, for all his talk about the great German
   tradition, is musical action painting, the notes flung on the page
   white-hot.  Schoenberg admitted as much when he wrote that he often
   set texts to music as he read them, without knowing how they would
   end.  But the best single example of a Schoenberg thunderbolt is a
   brief piano piece (Op. 23, No. 2).  The Schoenberg who lives on is
   the composer who could take such a flying leap and leave his parachute
   at home."

The rest of Schiff's article is as perceptive and thought-provoking as this
excerpt, and the other articles are generally as good as his.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]