From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 07:00:01 -0500
Steve Schwartz remarks in passing...

>...  I can't think of a string trio by anybody that's well known, even
>among classical aficionados.  Piano trios, yes.  String trios, no.

For whatever reason, trios for violin, viola, and cello are thin on the
ground in the 19th C. After Beethoven, there is nothing but obscurities;
even Dvorak's mid-life essays are for cello-less string quartet [2
violins/viola] and aimed at players of modest accomplishment. The medium
revived quite a bit in the 20th C., beginning with the Serenade in C, op
10 by Erno Dohnanyi. Worthwhile examples range from the two by Hindemith
through a piece of deft flummery by Jean Francaix, and a very serious trio
indeed from Alfred Schnittke.

John Wiser