From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:08:38 -0500
Wintry greetings from upstate New York!  I have moved my internet
Musikantiquariat dealings to another computer, thus creating space in
this mail program for more important matters.  Those include such e-lists
as this one, which I would otherwise have to forgo because their traffic
had become greater than this browser could handle comfortably.  My
contributions to the Moderated Classical List will be confined almost
entirely to matters of fact:  repertoire, discography, performance
circumstances, and the like.  My opinion battery has been irrecoverably
discharged over two decades of print reviewing.

However, if you go to:

   http://wov.pioneeris.net/

you will find the tracks of opinionation revealed in a series of internet
broadcasts, which I have been hosting and programming since last February.
A liberal sample of upcoming broadcasts is offered below.  All are
imminent:

Playlists for Program #44 and rebroadcast of Program #43

Four hours of classical music every Sunday morning, from 8 to 12 US Eastern
Standard Time [GMT-5], only on the internet.  Host and programmer:  John
Wiser Each program rebroadcast on the following Saturday beginning at 12
midnight and running through 4 AM Sunday, US EST.

WOV program #44, 17 December 2000

Haydn: Symphony No. 57 in D
 Netherlands Chamber Orch/Szymon Goldberg
 Epic BC 1046                   22:25

Haydn: Missa in tempore belli [Paukenmesse]
 Gachinger Kantorei/Bach-Collegium Stuttgart
 Stuttgart Chamber Orch/Helmut Rilling
 Hanssler 98.98/1-044           38:17

Chopin: 3 Mazurkas, op. 50
 Karen Kushner
 Connoisseur Society CD4182     10:30

Sibelius: Symphony No. 6 in D minor, op. 104
 Stockholm Radio/Sixten Ehrling
 Finlandia 3984-22713-2         26:40

Hindemith: Sonata for Piano 4-hands [1938]
 Paul Hindemith/Jesus-Maria Sanroma
 Biddulph LAB087                13:15

Britten: Diversions for piano left hand and orchestra, op. 21
 Julius Katchen/LSO/Benjamin Britten
 London 421 855-2               24:03

Schoenberg: String Trio, op. 45
 Schoenberg Ensemble [Janneke van der Meer, vn;
 Henk Guittart, va; Hans Woudenberg, vc]
 Philips 416 306-2              19:34

Martin: Songs of Ariel
 The Sixteen/Harry Christophers
 Collins 14672                  11:24

Messiaen: Eclairs sur l'Au-Dela...
 Orch de l'Opera Bastille/Myung-Whun Chung
 DG 439 929-2                   65:31

Program #43, rebroadcast beginning 12/16 at 12 midnight EST [GMT-5],
running through 4 AM on Sunday, 17 December

J.S.Bach: Toccata and Fugue in F, BWV 540
 Carl Weinrich, Holtkamp Organ, General
 Theological Seminary, New York.
 RCA LM 2649 [mono LP]          15:08

J.S.Bach: Concerto in D, 3 violins, strings,
 continuo, after BWV 1064.
 Hendel, Schlupp, Bunte,
 Chamber Orch of the Saar/Karl Ristenpart
 Nonesuch H 71057 [stereo LP]   20:13

Mozart: String Quartet in D, K. 499
 Budapest Quartet [rec. 1936]
 Japan Angel EAC 60055 [mono LP] 23:43

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat, op. 55 ["Eroica"]
 Le Concert des Nations/Jordi Savall
 Auvidis ES 8557                44:40

Dvorak: Quintet in E flat, 2 vns, 2 vas, vc, op. 97
 Raphael Ensemble
 Hyperion CDA66308              32:19

Kodaly: Symphony in C [1961]
 BBC Philharmonic/Yan Pascal Tortelier
 CHANDOS CHAN 9811              26:44

Luening: The Soundless Song [1923]
 Danielle Woerner, soprano; Marcia Gates, flute;
 Jean Kopperud, clarinet; Sylvia Buccelli, Piano;
 HVP String Quartet.
 Parnassus PACD 96-025           8:06

Copland: Piano Sonata [1941]
 Leonard Bernstein, pianist [rec. 1947]
 New World NW 277 [mono LP]     21:02

Lutoslawski: Symphony no. 3 [1972-1983]
 LA Philharmonic/Esa-Pekka Salonen
 Sony SK 66280                  31:28

and finally:

WOV program #45 24 December 2000  8 AM-12 Noon EST [GMT-5]
 [with a longish deference to the Christian Holiday]

Mozart: Quartet in E flat, pno/str, K. 493
 Ranki/Eder Qtt members
 Telefunken 6.42523 [stereo LP] 26:55

Spohr: Sextet in C, 2 vns, 2 vas, 2 vcs, op. 140
 L'Archibudelli/Smithsonian Players
 Sony Vivarte SK 53370          23:25

Vaughan Williams: Mass in G minor [1922]
 Corydon Singers/Matthew Best
 Hyperion A66076 [stereo LP]    23:55

Elliott Carter: String Quartet No. 1 [1951]
 Composers Quartet
 Nonesuch H 71249 [stereo LP]   37:50

Martin: Le Mystere de la Nativite [1959]
 Ameling/Heynis/Devos/Cuenod/Tappy/
 Mollet/Olsen/Vessieres/Clavensy
 Choeur des Jeunes de l'Eglise Nationale Vaudoise
 Le Motet de Geneve, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
 cond. Ernest Ansermet [recorded at the first
 performance, December 23, 1959, Geneva]
 Cascavelle VEL 2006            1 hr 45 mn

I hope you'll join me along the way during these various occasions!

John Wiser