From:
Madeline Millard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:26:32 -0700
The current discussion about classical radio stations and the
just-announced demise of the Colorado Opera Festival have led me to
recall some of the appalling experiences I have encountered with arts
organizations and to wonder how much negative impact such experiences
may have on their financial conditions.

First, let me explain that my budget is limited, so I try to contribute
what I may uniquely have to offer that will benefit the organization. My
encounters resulted in no financial loss to the organizations, but one
wonders how many people, with resources enabling them to be more generous,
have taken their tax deductions elsewhere.

For example: The library of our local classical radio station is somewhat
limited in the quality of its recordings and it lacks many of my favorite
works and artists.  Several months ago, I realized that I could purchase
some of my wish-list CDs new and inexpensively on eBay, and donate them
to the station.  A telephone conversation with the station manager assured
me that this practice would be most appreciated.  However, when I stopped
by the station to deliver my first purchase, I was met at the door by the
station's sales manager.  She asked me what I wanted, and I explained that
I had a CD for the general manager.  The woman then snatched the disc from
my hand and said "I'll give it to her!" She strode into the manager's
office and immediately returned without the CD.  A tall and imposing woman,
she walked up to me and said, "I'll see you out." We were so close I was
unable to turn around and therefore had to back out the door.  Did I donate
another CD? What do you think?

For example: Another time, I called the same station to ask who would be
spotlighted on the next weekly program featuring dead conductors. I was
asked if I was a member, and when I said "no," I was told they couldn't
tell me. What if I had been a new, potential big donor?

For example:  Last December our local newspaper carried an article about
the local opera company's school outreach program.  One unit, designed
for special education classes, featured discussions about people with
disabilities who work in opera.  An acquaintance and sometimes biographer
of Jeffrey Tate, I felt I had something to offer and asked the reporter
whom I should contact in order to participate.  She referred me to an opera
board member, who promised to have someone contact me.  I heard nothing.
The next time I crossed paths with the board member, I asked her what had
transpired.  "Oh, I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to do anything
about it!" was her reply.  I'm still waiting.

For example:  Several years ago, I was talking with Jeffrey Tate after
a concert in California, and he introduced me to a gentleman from the
Los Angeles Philharmonic.  We had a pleasant chat and the man invited
me to Tate's next concert in L.A.  Upon returning home, I realized I had
forgotten the man's name, so I called our local symphony office to ask
the general manager (whom I knew) if he could help me.  He was out of the
office, so my call was forwarded to the assistant manager a woman who had
been with the orchestra for many years.  I explained the reason for my
call and asked her a description and the name of the L.A.  Phil's general
manager.  Her reply:  "He's a big, burly Englishman and he wouldn't speak
to you anyway!" and she hung up.  It obviously was not the man I'd met.
However, my point is that this woman did not know me, yet she was extremely
rude.  What if I had been a music-loving 80-year-old woman with no heirs
and a million dollars I wanted to bequeath to a worthy organization? The
orchestra, which has its share of financial woes, never would have known
what it missed.

If I have encountered all of the above, how many more people have been
treated similarly? I propose that this problem is more prevalent than most
people realize, and therefore has a greater negative impact on the welfare
of arts organizations than is acknowledged.

Lest anyone argue that I fail to consider both sides of the issue, let
me say that I was operations manager of a chamber music ensemble for
five years and have had hands-on experience with volunteers and donors.
Almost every organization has its share of volunteers/donors from hell,
and volunteers can and should be dismissed when necessary; but few
organizations can afford to ignore and mistreat their constituents.

Madeline Jenkins Millard
Colorado Springs, CO
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>