From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:22:15 GMT
Ron Chaplin asks:

>How does Don Satz, Steve Schwartz, or Dave Lampson, to mention only
>three of many on the list, learn enough to write meaningful reviews?

I assume that each of us has had a unique background.  I received much
musical training as a young boy, played two instruments, was involuntarily
with the high school choral club, took just one music course in college,
and grew up in a classical music oriented home.  Although none of the above
meant much to me at the time, I can reflect back, look at myself now, and
see that the background laid the framework for my current preferences and
musical abilities.

Ron mentioned connections between reading and listening; I think he's
on the right path.  As an example, some time ago I was reviewing a Bach
keyboard performance, and the liner notes mentioned the "stretti" in the
music.  What's that? I had no idea.  But, by listening to the piece and
connecting it to the notes and reading other references, I learned what
stretti means.  Now, I can't miss it when I hear it, and I love its use.
Time, experience, and dedication are the keys along with the basic
requirement - love of the music.

Don Satz